Thursday, December 17, 2020

Techniques of Intention: Kitchen Witchery Basics Part 5

When practicing Kitchen Witchery how exactly do I add my intention? Is it any different from other spellwork? The short answer is no. If you are confident in other parts of your practice then you can probably use what you already know. BUT Kitchen Witchery seems to be a starting point for a lot of people so I've used this series to explain a lot of witchcraft basics with a kitchen focus.

As I mentioned in Part 1 of this series, I want to look over some specific ways to add intention into your work. Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list and if you don't see your method here I would love to hear abut it in the comments below! I'm going into detail about the methods I use. And I'm doing so with the assumption that you've read the rest of this series so if you have questions about correspondence, intuition or colour magic please check these other posts for more information.

I don't have much left to say so let's get into this list.

Stirring

Simply put, in the kitchen a spoon is like a wand. You can channel your energy through it into the things you stir. Traditionally stirring clockwise brings energies in and counter-clockwise is used to banish. This is the only one on the list that I feel needs to be used with another form because you need to let the energy know what it's being used for. Any method from below or a combination of them will work. The way I add intention is to focus on the type of energy I'm working with, I will visualize a certain colour energy or simply repeat the word or phrase over and over in my head as I stir. In addition to this I will sometimes hold my breath while repeating the word or phrase as a stir 3 times and then with the exhale I allow my energy to flow from my body through the spoon. This breath work I usually reserve for things like string my coffee or tea. With stirring I like to sometimes do a stir both ways, one to banish one type of energy and then the other to put the desired energy back in.

Breath work

Breath work comes in many forms. I used an example above. You can use different patterns of breathing like square breathing or lion's breath. You can hold your breath and let your body generate energy from that restriction and then release. You can send your energy through your hands or a tool as you do it. For instance you can slowly and calmly breath in and out with your hands over your bowl, palm down sending energy through your arms with every breath. You can mix this with visualization to send a specific colour energy. If you’re going the banishing route you can use your inhale instead and suck the unwanted energy out. Keep in mind you also traditionally have a receiving and giving hand in magic (usually dominant is giving and the other is receiving but it depends on your practice) so you can use this to your advantage as well.

Visualization 

This is like what it sounds but with a small caveat that visualization in this sense doesn’t have to only be about the sense of sight. If you feel more connected to sounds then bring a certain sound to mind or scents, tastes or textures. If you’re working on something for cleansing maybe you bring to mind the scent of lemon. Just like anything else we've come up against. Focus your energy on manifesting whatever it is that you feel associated with your intention. I find sight is my most attuned sense so usually use colour magic. I see a certain colour of light surround my ingredients and allow it to seep in as I stir or knead or even just as it rests.


Affirmations, Incantations and Words of Power

“Bibbity bobbity boo,” “Alakazam,” “Double, double, toil and trouble…”

These are examples of incantations or words of power. You can say them out loud or in your mind. It’s a way to focus your intentions without any tools or research at all. Just your words. You can use something short and specific or you can make it more elaborate like in a traditional ritual or spell.

The best tip I’ve been given about affirmations is to use the present tense. I find affirmations best for personal use rather than something your whole family will be enjoying. I use affirmations for my coffee and tea. “I am full of energy,” is a great one for those mornings you need a little quick in the pants.

Another common way to use words of power is to tell your ingredients why they’re being added. As you've seen most ingredients have quite a list of reasons to be used so focus them by saying, “Basil for good luck,” rather than just throwing basil into your pot.

End Thoughts

I hope this has been helpful to you. I think I'm coming to the end of my Kitchen Witchery Basics so if there's something you want me to go into please, please, please do not shy away from asking! You can reach me on Instagram, Facebook, the comments below or through e-mail and you can find all these links in the sidebar.

I have one idea left in mind right now and I will be moving on to a new exposition topic for these post that lack a recipe. I'm flipping back and forth between Cooking Basics and beginning Ingredient Spotlights. so if you have a preference (whether specific or of these two options) let me know; I want to give the readers what they want!

No comments:

Post a Comment